The Developer Productivity Engineering Handbook
A Complete Guide to Developer Productivity Engineering for Practitioners
Developer Productivity Engineering (DPE) is a software development practice used by leading software development organizations to maximize developer productivity and happiness. In this book we share developer productivity engineering techniques and stories about how to:
- Understand the importance of fast feedback cycles and early discovery of bugs
- Quantify the costs of low-productivity development environments that waste time waiting for slow builds, tests, and CI/CD pipelines
- Organize the data required to understand, troubleshoot, and improve essential development processes like builds, tests, and CI/CD pipelines
- Take advantage of acceleration technologies like caching and test distribution to speed up feedback cycles
- Use data to proactively improve the reliability of the development toolchain
- Find and eliminate frequent errors and noisy signals like flaky tests
This book was written for:
- Senior software developers responsible for the productivity and morale of their teams.
- Build engineers responsible for enabling fast and frequent software delivery, improving trust and confidence in toolchain, and making teaming and collaborations with the development team more efficient
- DPE managers and champions looking for a comprehensive guide to the DPE practice that they can reference, share, and use to socialize the key concepts and tools across the organization
- Engineering leadership open to new strategies to decrease time-to-market and minimize cost while maintaining and improving quality
- Members of the development team looking to make an impact and build influence by surfacing breakthrough solutions but need help understanding and building a business case
- CI Teams who want to learn how to contribute to the developer experience beyond providing CI as a service.